When the trunk lock on a Toyota Camry is subjected to thousands of cycles of locking and unlocking, it’s not a surprise that it eventually fails. Modern Camrys employ a remote system instead of a key to unlock the doors, which is more convenient for the drivers of newer models. Let’s see what we can find out about opening the trunk of a Toyota Camry without a key.
Fold the Rear Bench
If your Camry is equipped with fold-down rear seats, this method will work. On each side of the backrest are two hooks. Pull them out and remove the seat lock. Leaning on the backrest will cause it to lock, so be careful. It’s best to have someone help you out, or unlock one side, step outside the vehicle and access the second lock from the other side.
A new feature allows for the backrest to be folded down on the seating area, and you can fold it even farther and have the rear bench tilt upwards towards the front seats. Inside the trunk, you can now crawl in and pull the yellow lever to unlock it. You should take the lock mechanism or drive the vehicle to a locksmith or technician for repairs because this procedure takes a long time.
Use the Trunk Latch
While it may come as a surprise, some Toyota Camry models include a trunk latch that is situated either right next to or at a little angle to the gas tank latch, depending on the model year. From the driver’s seat, the trunk of your Camry may be opened swiftly and conveniently.
The Undercarriage Trick
We’ve all done it: locked the keys in the car and forgotten about them. Unless you have a spare set or hire a locksmith, they’ll be locked in the car until you do. Toyota Camry’s trunk is easy to open if you forget your keys in it, thanks to a simple external mechanism.
To use this method, you’ll need a long screwdriver, but if yours is locked in the trunk, you can borrow another driver’s or try your luck with a piece of straight wood or a branch.
Locate a rubber plug the size of a large bottlecap beneath the driver’s door. It’s next to the driver’s seat, under the trunk latch. Remove the plug and push upwards into the hole with the tool you have available. It will raise the carpeting and push the trunk lock, allowing you to get to your keys. Reconnect the plug after you’re finished.
Remove the Door Cylinder Lock
Make sure you follow the instructions and watch the instructional video before attempting this procedure, as it is difficult and there is a potential that you will not be able to put everything back in place. There are situations where it works, but you can’t open your trunk because of the alarm system and your keys are locked in the trunk.
- Locate the plastic plug on the driver’s door. It’s leveled with the door handle and faces towards the B-Column when the door is closed. Take it off and safely store it away.
- Look through the hole – there’s a Torx head screw inside. Find the appropriate Torx screwdriver size, and loosen the screw. There are safety mechanisms that prevent the screw from falling into the door but proceed with care just in case.
- Pull the door handle to gain access to the key cylinder. You need to slide the key cylinder out of the socket, which can be difficult given the tight fit. Be careful not to break off the handle, or scratch the paint. Some masking tape will work great as a temporary layer of protection.
- The cylinder head will come out so it faces the rear of the car. Remember this, as it’s the only way you’ll be able to put it back in once you’ve opened the trunk.
- Look at the end of the key cylinder. You’ll notice the plus-shaped lock mechanism. Now look into the cylinder slot and at the end, there will be a plus-shaped indentation where it fits.
- Take a flathead screwdriver, and carefully insert it into the cylinder slot. Once it’s inside the plus-shape indentation, rotate it to lock the car, then to unlock it.
- Press the trunk release button, and the trunk will open right up!
It’s considerably more difficult to reinstall the cylinder lock than it was to remove it. Let’s go through the process of repairing the door.
- Raise the door handle and slide the cylinder in from the same angle it came out. This will require lots of twisting, pivoting, and turning, so take your time, be patient, and don’t force anything.
- Once the cylinder is facing the right way and the door handle can slide onto it, insert the key, turn it and gently apply pressure, and the cylinder should fall right into its place.
- With the key left in the lock, tighten the Torx screw. If the screw isn’t gripping, you’ll use the key to wiggle it in position and make everything fall into its place.
- Put the plastic plug back in, and you’re done with the process.
What are all the factory ways of opening the trunk of the Toyota Camry?
The trunk latch or button or handle can be used. You can either use the fob key feature or insert the key straight into the trunk lock to unlock it.
How do you open a trunk without a battery?
The best way to get to the trunk release handle is to fold down the back bench.
Why does my trunk button doesn’t work?
However, the electronic lock could also be to blame for your fob key’s battery draining. Make sure there are no blown fuses in the trunk lock before replacing it.
How much would it cost to get a trunk fixed?
While a trunk lock cylinder can cost anywhere from $50 to $150, we expect the labor to cost roughly $50 to do this job. Use the Internet to get a more exact price estimate for the replacement part.
How does a trunk lock work?
There is an electric motor inside the trunk lock, called the actuator, that releases and locks the latch using electricity. The mechanism won’t work if the battery is dead, so you’ll have to manually unlock the trunk.
Can I unlock my Camry with my phone?
The Toyota Remote Connect app, available on newer models, makes it possible to unlock your car with a single touch on a screen. It also has functions such as an engine start and a car locater, which are both convenient.
Using one or more of these methods, you’ll be able to open the trunk of your Toyota Camry in no time. If using a cylinder lock is too difficult for you, you should seek the assistance of a locksmith or mechanic to prevent further damage. As a thank you for reading this article, I hope it has helped you unlock your Toyota Camry’s trunk without the need of your keys!